Thursday, September 15, 2011

China Music: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

Since we're spending so much time talking about the night sky as we celebrate the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star (in Chinese) seemed like a good choice.

Full disclosure: The Whirl Girl learns a bit of Mandarin in her preschool and she came home singing this song about a year ago.  So it's already familiar in our house, though it needed some dusting off because she's not sung it in a while.

We sing Twinkle Twinkle (in English) every night as part of the bedtime routine, so I've been trying to throw the Chinese version in when I can too.

It's actually pretty easy to learn... after The Whirl Girl sang it to me a few times, I could sing it along with her.  Though I'm sure I'm totally butchering the pronunciation.

I downloaded a version from iTunes, from the Sing and Learn Chinese CD.

The Whirl Girl gets excited about anything animated on YouTube so she was excited to watch this cartoon Mandarin Twinkle Twinkle video.  And this video featuring a young Chinese girl singing was also a hit.

For parents wanting to learn the song, this video gives the spoken version of the song complete with low-tech flashcards. 

Happy singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment